Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Reading A to Z: Q is for Queue

My reading queue is out of control. I have always had hundreds of books. I grew up in a family that loved to read. While my grandmother preferred to go to the library, her mother had always purchased first editions. Grandma grew up during the Great Depression and believed in saving money. When I was a child, my parents had a lot of books around the house. They were always happy to purchase more of them for us. We had a tendency to read and reread our books, so it made sense to always have them at hand.

As an adult with my own house, I have always had a full room dedicated to books as my own personal library. There is nothing greater than sitting in a chair, surrounded by books.

In my current house, I set up a special bookshelf, known as my "Books to Read" shelf. What started as just a few books I found at a garage sale has turned into a sagging set of shelves, overflowing with books I want to read. I have even tried to put them in order of what I want to read, but it just ins't possible. I want to read them all. I want to ingest them all at one time. If I had the power to inhale the books like air and still enjoy them as much as reading them by myself, I would. I can't get enough.

I had always vowed I would never give in to the e-book craze. And then I got that stupid smartphone that came with a Kindle app. I was curious. I started with a couple of classic freebies. And then I discovered I could download others for free. I started to regularly check out the Top Free Bestsellers list on a weekly basis. That turned into a daily basis. Now I subscribe to the freebie websites and have discovered how to locate my own. I sometimes even post my findings on this blog. (I took a break from that this month, in order to complete the challenge.) As of the time I am writing this, I have 1870 books for children and adults in my Kindle queue. Will I ever get to them all? I have no idea. But it's fun to know they're available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.