Sunday, April 10, 2011

E is for Encyclopedia

When I was a kid, I wanted to try to read the entire encyclopedia series, so that I could learn a little bit about everything. Granted, our set of encyclopedias was by Funk & Wagnells, and we picked up each volume at the grocery store over half a year. Instead of reading my way from A to Z, I would pick topics to "study" over the summers. Yes, I was one of those nerdy kids who could never get enough of learning. I am also a Montessori kid, so I know how to study on my own.

Imagine my delight upon finding out that someone actually did make it all the way through the alphabet. A. J. Jacobs not only read all of his encyclopedias, but he did so with Britannica, AND he wrote a memoir about it.

My sister has read the book, and she recommended it to me. I do own a copy, because I found it on the 3 for 2 table at Borders. I am ashamed to say that I haven't yet finished it. But it is on my reading list for this summer and I can't wait to finish it!

3 comments:

  1. Once you finish the encyclopedia, you need to go on Jeopardy. Good luck with the AtoZ Challenge. I am thoroughly enjoying this challenge.

    I am now following you. Please stop by my blog if you have a chance.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had World Book encyclopedias when I was growing up. I could get lost in them for hours. It was like visiting a museum while sitting in a rocker. I LOVED those encyclopedias. If you would like to read my latest post for the A-Z Challenge, just click http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/ and look at the top blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grabbed an encyclopedia to browse through here and there as a kid too, but never hoped to read them all. I've always been an avid reader, but that was a bit much even for me!

    Popping in by way of the A-Z Challenge. I’m blogging at:
    Write, Wrong or Indifferent
    Marie Anne’s Missives
    In the Garden With Sow-n-Sow
    Every Day Crochet

    ReplyDelete

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.