Saturday, April 2, 2011

B is for Bronte

Ah, the Bronte sisters. Timeless classics. I first read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte in 8th grade and I enjoyed it. In 1996, I saw the theatrical interpretation of the book, starring William Hurt, Charlotte Gainesbourg, and Anna Paquin. I fell in love with the story and reread the book. I bought the movie on DVD and reread the book a few more times.

A couple of years ago. PBS did their own version of Jane Eyre as a mini-series. This version, being much longer, was able to incorporate even more of the book. I thought it was excellent, and eventually procured my own copy.

I still love reading the book, and have downloaded a free version to my Kindle. It is going to keep me company one of these days when I have to wait a while somewhere, or in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

I heard there is a new theatrical version coming out. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, why do we have to keep redoing stuff? I guess it is to get the "younguns" interested again? I just hope it is worth it.

I have a couple other Charlotte Bronte works. Once at an antique store, I picked up a copy of The Professor that also included several of Charlotte's poems. I started the story and enjoyed it. I just haven't yet gotten around to finishing it. I also enjoyed the poetry, even though I don't often read poetry, unless I am in the mood. I also recently picked up a copy of Vilette.

As for Emily Bronte, she is famous for Wuthering Heights. I think I need to read it again. I remember watching the Laurence Olivier movie version of the book, and thought it was okay. Several years ago, at the urging of a good friend, I finally read the book. I didn't like it. But I can't remember now if I didn't like it because of the story, the writing, or if the characters just made me mad. I will have to give it another shot.

And, of course, there is Anne Bronte, the lesser-known Bronte sister. She wrote a lot of poetry and a couple of novels. They were Agnes Gray and Tenant of Wildfell Hall.. I picked up a used copy of her poems several years ago. I have read through many of them. Again, I have to be in the mood for poetry, but she was also quite talented. I have not yet tried her novel, but I will look for it.

So, yes, Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorite books and stories. Call it ironic that I now live in Rochester. I highly recommend it, but please feel free to check out any of the books below.



You can also check out some of these DVD versions of these classic books.

3 comments:

  1. Popping in by way of the A-Z Challenge. I’m blogging at:
    http://rodneysouthernsays.blogspot.com/

    Great job Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that so many writers came from the same family. Nice to meet you.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Wuthering Heights, saw the film and read the book. In recent years it was made into a musical in the UK. lovely to mmet you and thanks for the comment,

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.