Monday, January 27, 2014

'Wallace Park: A Memoir' by Eddie Regory


Blurb:

Seeking refuge from the projects in New York City, Eddie's parents send him to Portland, Oregon, where he is introduced to a life full of parks, sports, and single-family homes. Here, he teams up with his best friend, Ed, to explore the meaning of adolescence. Their friendship evolves, though, as Ed pushes the boundaries of risky behavior, and all Eddie can do is watch. Filled with enticing sports play-by-plays, thrilling fight scenes, and aw-inducing love motifs, Wallace Park tells a unique yet universal story of adversity highlighted with friendship and love.


Read an excerpt:
Part One
Chapter 1
New York City—Lower East Manhattan

The horrifying scream became louder as I groggily awakened. I didn’t know what was happening and was terrified to discover what these screams were. Maybe it was a dream, I thought, glancing over to my twin brother, Joey, who was still sleeping. I froze as the blanket covered my frightened body. The spineless hesitation I felt about climbing from my mattress, however, would soon diminish as I gradually slipped off the edge of the bed. I made my way toward the bedroom doorknob. As I inched closer, the screams reverberated off the apartment walls and grew disturbingly louder. I slowly creaked open the door and heard my mother begging, “No, Michael, no!”
I looked down at the floor and saw a line of blood drops leading toward the kitchen. Barely awake, I followed the puddled drops and saw my mother’s little body moving from side to side as she extended her arms to block the front door so my brother Michael wouldn’t get out.
“No, Michael! No. You don’t need to do this.”
“Mom, just move. Please!”
Mom begged in her accented English, “No, Michael! My God! Please, Michael, God, please!”
“Mom, please!”
Michael’s forehead was masked with blood dripping profusely over his eyes and face. I had never witnessed this much blood and could not understand why it was happening.
“Please, Michael! Sit down. I’ll clean your head, and it will all be forgotten.”
“No, Mom. I can’t!”
“You can, baby. You can,” Mom said. “Please, sit down!”
“No, Mom! I’m gonna kill ’im!” Michael yelled before he dashed toward the kitchen drawer and grabbed a butcher knife, scattering the roaches off the utensils.
He yanked the kitchen window open, leaped out, and disappeared through the next window over, into the building hallway five stories up. Mom tried to stop him, but he was too strong.
I started to cry, mostly for my mom.
She prayed to God, “Ay! Dios mío, Dios, por favor salva a mi hijo!
“Mom!” I cried, running toward her. “Mom! What happened?”
“Oh! Dios mío! Mom prayed aloud.
“Mom? Where’d Michael go? What happened to Michael?”
“Oh, Dios! My baby!”
I pulled Mom’s apron, even though it was spotted with blood, and said, “Mom, Mom, it’s okay, it’s okay—Michael will come back.”
Mom’s eyes were bloodshot as tears streamed down her cheeks, her body exhausted from worrying about Michael’s fate. She struggled toward the kitchen table and sat there quietly. Confused, I stood beside her trying to soothe the pain she felt in her heart, stroking her long black hair with my shaky hand.
She rocked herself back and forth like you would a baby in your arms, and with her hands over her face, she uttered, “God will be with my Michael. God will watch him.”


Buy links

Currently rated 4.9 out of 5 *s!



Bio:

I'm originally from New York City but consider myself a Portland, Oregon native. I love all movies including the stupid ones (life's too short not to try them) going on long bike rides, animals but especially dogs. I am self-employed and constantly thinking of ways to make others feel better about themselves. I'm married to my grade school sweetheart, Hazel for 23 years and have a 10 year old daughter, Eliana and a white dog named Blanco.



Visit Eddie's website: 
http://www.wallaceparkmemoir.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.