Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Reading A to Z: S is for Salinger

It is tremendously cliche to say that The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger is one of my favorite books, but it is the truth. I enjoyed it when I read it in high school. A few years ago, I reread it and appreciated it even more on a different level. I decided to go on from there and check out some of his other books. He only ever published three more books. Each one is entertaining, though many people may not appreciate them as much as his most famous work.


Nine Stories is a collection of just that: nine short stories. They are short stories about people who could live next door to you or even about yourself. Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenter and Seymour: An Introduction is part of the Glass family series. Franny and Zooey is the other part of that series. (The singer/actress Zooey Deschanel was named after this book.) Each of these books features two separate stories within one book, chronicling the story of a man named Seymour Glass and his brother Buddy. These two books did hold my attention, but I guess I didn't get them as much as I got Catcher. Many people prefer these other books, though, and I do recommend reading them. They are on my list to revisit sometime, to see how the next experience holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.