Saturday, January 2, 2010

10 Things I Hate About Christianity



The title alone is especially eye-catching:  10 Things I Hate About Christianity: Working Through the Frustrations of Faith. Also appealing was the headline of the PRWeb article that introduced me to this work by Jason T. Berggren: "Ex-pastor And Punk-rocker Challenges The President's Position On Healthcare Reform As A Moral Imperative".What kind of wisdom can an ex-pastor and ex-punker have about Christianity?

Let me start by clarifying that Jason is, in fact, a Christian, even though he is an ex-pastor and ex-punk rocker. He is just willing to acknowledge some of the flaws that exist within the Christian structure, with which many Christians can identify. Ten chapters cover the ten biggest areas of malcontent amongst Christians at any stage:  Faith, Prayer, The Bible, Sin, Rules, Love, Hell, Answers, Church, and Christians. Most Christian writers like to tell YOU what is wrong with YOU and how YOU need to change yourself. Here, Jason implies that the fault lies not totally in the self, but in human nature. Because humans are in charge of Christianity here on Earth, and humans are fallible, it is logical that Christianity has problems, as well.

Jason uses real-life examples to back up any of his opinions, which makes him very easy to read and understand. He delivers his message in a way that isn't preachy, which is very appealing to those of us who are not fans of being told what to do on a regular basis. He bares his soul in many areas, such as addressing questioning God after his first child died. When he asks his questions, you often find yourself pondering your own conflicts and questions, as well.

The books is a very easy read. In fact, I read most of it in one day. (And yes, I read fast, but for a book to hold my attention that long, and to inspire me to finish it in one day, says a lot.) I recommend reading it with a journal by your side, so that you can take notes on your own thoughts and observations as you read Jason's. You can't help but to be inspired to question your own faith, and writing your thoughts is the best way to reflect on them. I would like to reread this book at a time when I can really reflect on the message, and perhaps attack some of my own issues.

Purchase 10 Things I Hate About Christianity: Working Through the Frustrations of Faith


After reading the book, be sure to also check out Jason T. Berggren's blog or follow him on Twitter @jasonberggren.

I received a copy of the book directly from the author, for the purposes of reviewing on my blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to read this one. All religions are flawed. Look at the Muslim religion. If the Koran didn't have anything in it that these radicals could latch onto, maybe things would be different. Any religion that subjugates another race or gender is wrong, in my very humble opinion. The Bible has so many contradictions, that if you really study it, it's confusing as to what you are actually supposed to believe.

    ReplyDelete

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.